Classification: Direct Service – Adult Services
Job Title Citizenship Specialist – Bilingual
Center: Family Focus Nuestra Familia -Cicero
Reports To: Program Coordinator
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for recruitment of eligible citizenship application processing, that includes coordination and recruitment of participants and volunteers for planned activities. Assists with intake and assessment work and may help lead certain educational groups. This is a 30 hour/week position.
- Support in processing of citizenship applications.
- Conduct a variety of outreach activities in the community to engage and recruit families into immigration program services.
- Develop an outreach plan along with Program Coordinator/Manager that includes faith-based, nonprofits, local business and government bodies.
- Identify locations to collocate in order to reach eligible participants.
- Identify and work with key state and local government officials who support US Citizenship, including personal meetings, invitations to events, etc.
- Complete intakes for participants who are interested in naturalization services.
- Referrals and linkages to external immigration service partners to support naturalization process i.e. ESL, Civics, and DOJ legal advice.
- Case management; follow up on referrals and assess additional needs to provide continuous support towards naturalization process.
- Promote and implement naturalization workshops and relevant trainings developed with Program Coordinator/Manager.
- Promote and implement opportunities for applicants and volunteers to participate and engage in NAI programs, campaigns and advocacy work developed with Program Coordinator/Manager.
- Maintain accurate documentation of outreach, program participation, and other program related activities in a timely fashion to support monthly reports.
- Attend meetings as required with funder and center.
- Represent Family Focus at community partner meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality and ethical standards of practice with families and co-workers.
- Other duties as assigned as appropriate and determined by the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, and/or equivalent experience with immigrants.
- Passionate about working for immigrants’ rights and social justice.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with community-based organizations and/or agencies serving immigrant communities
- Ability to work independently and take initiative on areas of responsibility and successful implementer.
- Experience in community outreach preferred.
- Experience working with diverse constituencies with varying interests and needs.
- Demonstrated skills in assessing individual’s strengths and capacity-building.
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage various tasks and complete them in a timely manner.
- Knowledge and awareness of immigration law and policies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Access and Excel
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- A car and valid driver’s license are required.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume. Please visit http://www.family-focus.org/about-us/employment-opportunities for additional information.
Family Focus values a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will be considered in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.