CLASSIFICATION: Direct Services – Adult Services
JOB TITLE: Family Advocacy Worker (Bilingual)
REPORTS TO: Family Advocacy Center Program Manager
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Family Focus Advocacy Centers are community based comprehensive programs funded by the Department of Children and Family Services to provide holistic services for vulnerable children and their families. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work. This position plays a central role in fulfilling those two commitments. The programs operate by working with and supporting families in the community who are having difficulty parenting and may be at risk of having their children removed; foster families with a goal of reunification; and community members in need of other forms of assistance.
· Assist in planning and implementation of all program components related to Family Advocacy Center Support.
· Establish a trusting relationship with all family members.
· Provide home and/or site visits to participants.
· Intake and assessment of families
· Develop Individual Family Support Plans with all families.
· Accompany participants to identified service providers.
· Conduct and co-facilitate group services, parent education classes
· Develop and maintain close working relationships with case managers and other professionals.
· Advocate and refer families to internal and external community- based organizations for services.
· Conduct a variety of outreach activities to engage and recruit families into program services.
· Present Center services, outcomes and projections at local agencies and in community committee meetings to build and enhance collaborating partnerships
· Assist in developing collaborative relationships with community-based agencies and develop formal agreements with other community-based agencies to offer beneficial services to FAC families.
· Attend monthly meetings with other FAC Staff to share pertinent program information.
· Maintain confidentiality and ethical standards of practice with families and coworkers.
· Function as one of many team members working to support identified families.
· Bachelor’s degree in a human service field and a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a strengths-based capacity with family, children or youth.
· Bilingual-English/Spanish and ability work effectively with bi-cultural participants.
· Knowledge and skill in working with families in crisis or in sensitive situations.
· Knowledge of DCFS policies and procedures as well as experience working with DCFS-involved families.
· Ability to communicate clearly with participants, staff and key stakeholders.
· Proficient in Excel and Microsoft Office.
· Sensitive to diverse cultures and populations.
· Knowledge of child development
· Must have access to transportation.
· Work related travel required. Some evenings and occasional weekends required.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume. Please visit http://www.family-focus.org/about-us/employment-opportunities for additional information.
Family Focus values a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will be considered in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.