CLASSIFICATION: Direct Service: Early Childhood
JOB TITLE: Doula Specialist - Bilingual
LOCATION: Family Focus DuPage
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Doula Specialist is responsible for promoting healthy pregnancies, breast feeding and building a trusting relationship that offers strength-based services for families. The Doula will advocate for families, provide community outreach, prenatal education activities, and assist the family in preparing for childbirth through both home visiting and group based services.
- Perform initial assessment of families.
- Attend 24 to 30 deliveries per year
- Responsible for assisting families in establishing goals and a birth plan for accomplishing those goals.
- Assist families in initiating and strengthening the parent-child relationship.
- Maintain contact for eight to twelve weeks post-delivery at least once a week, plus regular phone contact and supports breast feeding and infant care as well as provide support to the new mom.
- Conduct outreach activities and stablish a partner relationship with Hospitals, Clinics, and High Schools to promote program services for teen parents.
- Perform documentation of services provided in participant files and the Ounce Net System.
- Provide home –base services including parent/child interaction activities to families.
- Conduct developmental screenings, home-base and center base services and referrals.
- Facilitate, and organize 8 sessions of prenatal group four times a year.
- Prepare and submit appropriate documentation and reports.
- Maintain client records in accordance to agency standards
- Identify needs and refer families to additional community resources, including health care and other basic necessities.
- Participate in all team meetings, present case materials and request information from other staff during team meetings.
- Attend required trainings through the Ounce of Prevention Fund.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in social service or related field (preferred), or equivalent experience.
- Must be on-call 24/7 to Doula participant families.
- Must have dependable transportation, valid driver’s license, and proof of auto insurance.
- Must have completed the Doula 20-session training program or must complete the 20-session training within 3 months of employment.
- Self-starter, capable of producing excellent work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
- Experience working with highly stressed families in overburdened communities.
- Knowledge of issues related to maternal/child health and child abuse risk.
- Knowledge of child development; particularly infant/toddlers.
- Commitment to prevention and strength-based interventions.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Sensitivity to working with families of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Considerable experience working with children, adolescents, and families: Experience working with teen mothers a plus.
- Strong team building capabilities.
- Strong technology and computer skills.
- Work related travel within the DuPage County community.
- Knowledge of Kane County community resources a plus.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter, resume, and references. Please visit http://www.family-focus.org/about-us/employment-opportunities for additional information.
Family Focus values a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will be considered in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.