CLASSIFICATION: Direct Services – Community School
JOB DESCRIPTION: Community Schools Instructor
CENTER: Nuestra Famillia
REPORTS TO: Community Schools Resource Coordinator
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: This part-time position supports and enhances the quality of the Community School programming through planning and implementation of student-centered program activities. Supervised by the Resource Coordinator, the program promotes academic achievement and supports the social/emotional development of participants. Professional development opportunities are available to support the instruction and implementation for multiple grade levels.
- Facilitate youth-centered group activities during after school and/or on designated Saturdays.
- Activities must be interactive, creative, and combine different learning approaches to accommodate various learning abilities.
- Activities will integrate Common Core Learning Standards, teambuilding, cooperative learning, social emotional development, youth and leadership development.
- Maintain accurate attendance records and intake information on each participant, including pre & post assessments, weekly instructor reflections, one-on-one conference notes, etc.
- Participate in all mandatory program meetings i.e. orientation, curriculum development review, site based program planning/improvement meetings, professional development meetings
- Work with the Resource Coordinator and school day teachers to develop age-appropriate program activities, organize and coordinate family learning experiences, implement short and long term youth projects, S.M.A.R.T. goal setting and other enrichment activities.
- Work with program staff and program partners to develop and accomplish program goals.
- Attend/support Family Focus Community Schools’ events, professional developments and functions.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of program participants at all times.
- Motivate students to increase their performance, attendance, and program retention.
- Maintain confidentiality and ethical standards of practice with families and coworkers
- Degree in progress in one of the related fields: education, youth development, and/or experience in core content areas
- Bilingual preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with urban youth in an educational setting
- Training in effective classroom management strategies and techniques
- Ability to work in a team to develop an integrated program with a positive can do attitude
- Ability to take feedback in the interest of quality program content
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to relate well to diverse youth
- Proficient competency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to monitor program outcomes and goals
- Passion to support children’s success in school through a strength-based approach.
- Availability* Monday – Friday afternoons 2:00pm-6:00 p.m. *Schedule subject to change based on program hours
- Applicants will preferably be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Submit to and clear a background check
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume. Please visit http://www.family-focus.org/about-us/employment-opportunities for additional information.
Family Focus values a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will be considered in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.