CLASSIFICATION: Direct Services – Early Childhood
JOB TITLE: Parent Educator – Bilingual
REPORTS TO: ISBE PI Supervisor
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Parent Educator aims to promote healthy family functioning, positive prenatal outcomes for pregnant women, and enhance the development of very young children with home visits, parent education, and case management.
- Visit families during their hospital stay to introduce them to the program, assess families and provide appropriate information and referrals to community resources, and plan appropriate follow-up services.
- Provide telephone follow-up and/or home visits to 20 families.
- Follow-up after childbirth regarding mother and child’s health, postpartum feelings, partner relationships, sibling relationships, breastfeeding concerns, and other situations pertaining to the family.
- Conduct initial assessment of children and each family member in the home and develop an individualized service plan for the family and establish a professional relationship and a climate of mutual trust and respect for the parents.
- Increase parental awareness regarding baby care and positive parent-child interactions.
- Be a resource for parents, a facilitator for learning, and an advocate.
- Assist families in locating a pediatrician and follow-up and insure that immunizations are given to babies.
- Work with parents to strengthen the family’s knowledge of child development, including assisting parents to understand how children grow and learn, and planning and conducting child education activities with parents that meet the child’s intellectual, physical, emotional, and social needs.
- Assist parents in strengthening the families’ knowledge of health and nutrition, including integrating health and nutrition education into the program and providing information and referrals.
- Assist parents to strengthen their knowledge of community resources and support parents in problem solving.
- Assist with center-based parent education and/or parent-child groups.
- Review in advance with the Director all intervention strategies that provide specific support, information or advice to families.
- Complete required documentation procedures for record keeping.
- Understand and carry out the overall mission and goals of the agency and program and the principles of family-centered, strength-based, prevention services.
- Represent Family Focus to the community by upholding a high standard of professionalism.
- Be aware of and adhere to all personnel policies.
- Have a sensitive, non-judgmental attitude.
- Attend all staff, team and individual supervision meetings.
- Set goals for professional growth.
- Participate in recommended training programs, conferences, courses and other aspects of professional growth.
- Assume an equal share of joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Maintain a prompt work schedule and to inform the Director of any changes in schedule.
- Assist in public relations/fundraising/special events sponsored by the agency or program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in social service or early childhood preferred with related experience working with infants, young children and families.
- Bilingual English/Spanish with good oral and written communication skills in both languages. Ability to write and edit documents in English.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Well-developed time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter, resume, three references, unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and a one-page English writing sample. Please visit http://www.family-focus.org/about-us/employment-opportunities for additional information.
Family Focus values a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will be considered in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.