CLASSIFICATION: Direct Services – Early Childhood
JOB DESCRIPTION: Bi-lingual Parent Educator
CENTER: Family Network (Highland Park, IL)
REPORTS TO: Center Co-Director
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Right From The Start (RFTS) program, serving at-risk, primarily Spanish-speaking families, aims to promote healthy family functioning, positive prenatal outcomes for pregnant women and enhance the development of very young children. This part-time position will coordinate all the RFTS Educational Groups and will provide case management and home visits to 10 families. This position is for 20 hours a week.
- Understand and carry out the overall mission and goals of the agency and program and the principles of family-centered, strength-based, prevention services.
- Provide telephone follow-up and/or home visits to 10 families.
- Follow-up after childbirth regarding mother and child’s health, postpartum feelings, partner relationships, sibling relationships, breastfeeding concerns, and other situations pertaining to the family.
- Conduct initial assessment of children and each family member in the home and develop an individualized service plan for the family and establish a professional relationship and a climate of mutual trust and respect for the parents.
- Increase parental awareness regarding baby care and positive parent-child interactions.
- Be a resource for parents, a facilitator for learning, and an advocate.
- Assist families in locating a pediatrician and follow-up and insure that immunizations are given to babies.
- Work with parents to strengthen the family’s knowledge of child development, including assisting parents to understand how children grow and learn, and planning and conducting child education activities with parents that meet the child’s intellectual, physical, emotional, and social needs.
- Assist parents in strengthening the families’ knowledge of health and nutrition, including integrating health and nutrition education into the program and providing information and referrals.
- Assist parents to strengthen their knowledge of community resources and support parents in problem solving.
- Review in advance with the supervisor all intervention strategies that provide specific support, information or advice to families.
- Complete required documentation procedures for record keeping.
- Facilitate parent-toddler group.
- Represent Family Focus to the community by upholding a high standard of professionalism.
- Be aware of and adhere to all personnel policies.
- Have a sensitive, non-judgmental attitude.
- Attend all staff, team and individual supervision meetings.
- Set goals for professional growth.
- Participate in recommended training programs, conferences, courses and other aspects of professional growth.
- Assume an equal share of joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Maintain a prompt work schedule and to inform the suoervisor of any changes in schedule.
- Assist in public relations/fundraising/special events sponsored by the agency or program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS degree in social service or early childhood preferred with related experience working with infants, young children and families.
- Bilingual English/Spanish with good oral and written communication skills in both languages. Ability to write and edit documents in English. This position requires work on some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Well-developed time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
Qualified Applicants should submit a Cover Letter, Resume, three references, and a one-page English writing sample to HumanResources@family-focus.org. No phone calls, please.
Family Focus values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.